About the Weather Station Instruments
The instruments used for the BYU Physics & Astronomy Weather Station were
acquired from Texas Electronics.
They are interfaced (mostly through locally developed signal conditioning)
to an analog input board from National
Instruments which is in a PC running Windows XP. The software to
acquire, massage, display, and archive the data is a "built" executable
developed using the LabVIEW programming
- Thermometer - Texas Electronics TT-101 resistive sensor using a
themistor-resistor network with an operating range of -40° F to
+120° F with an accuracy of ±1° in the range of
-30° F to 110° F. Acquisition precision is ±0.01° F.
- Hygrometer - Texas Electronics TH-2013QR capacitive sensor. The
range is 0 to 100% relative humidity with an accuracy of ±3%.
Acquisition precision is ±0.002%.
- Barometer - Texas Electronics TB-2012M solid-state sensor. It has a
range of 21.4" to 27.4" Hg (absolute station pressure). Over this range it
has an accuracy of ±0.04" Hg. Acquisition precision is
- Anemometer - Texas Electronics TV-114 16-pole AC generator with a
starting threshold of 2.2 to 3.0 mph. a nominal operating range of 0 to 120
mph, and an accuracy of ±2 mph over that range. Acquisition
precision is ±0.005 mph.
- Wind Direction - Texas Electronics TD-104-5D resistive indicator. It
has a mechanical range of 0° to 360° with an
electrical range of 0° to 357° with a 3°
dead band. It has a starting threshold of 2.5 mph and an accuracy of about
±4°. Acquisition precision is about ±1.5°.
Below 2.5 mph the indicated direction is generally in the actual wind
direction but can vary widely.
- Rainfall - Texas Electronics TR-6118 tipping bucket rain gauge. It has
a resolution of 0.01" with an accuracy of 1% at 2" rainfall/hour.
- Solar Radiation - Texas Electronics TS-100 photovoltaic thermopile. It
has a range of 0 to 1400 W/m² with an accuracy of ±5%.
- Analog input board - National Instruments USB-6110 multifunction
- Computer - Dell Optiplex 745 (Small Form Factor case) with a 2.13
GHz Intel Core2 6400 CPU and 2.0 GB Ram.
Return to Weather Home Page.
Contact the BYU ESC weather
station manager with questions or comments about this page.
Copyright © 2018. Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.